Anyone involved with water protecting or pipeline disputes knows that the forces against them are great. Private security with military gear, the best lawyers money can buy and usually the local police, to name a few of the obstacles.
Let’s not forget the propaganda machines however. We’ve seen false narratives before but this one is worth noting. It hits the average person, in broad daylight. If you have power.
Millions of Texans went without heat and electricity as February 2021 snow and an ill-prepared infrastructure resulted in power outages.
As a storm hits, some leave for Cancun, Millions are without power and lives have been lost….the cover-up and blame shifting begins.
Conservatives and oil tycoons immediately blamed the state’s reliance on renewable energy resources, particularly wind power, citing frozen wind turbines as the biggest reason why so much of the power had failed.
Half of the wind turbines did go offline, but power loss from that source was a mere fraction compared to the losses from natural gas, coal, and nuclear sources.
About 15% of the total loss. Renewable energy provides up to 30% of the power in Texas. Half of the turbines went out, leaving 15% of the total power not working. The other 85% failed. Failures of thermal power generators, which include natural gas, coal, and nuclear power, were responsible for the majority of the power shutdowns across Texas during the February 2021 storms. Fact.
And the region’s power generating infrastructure was not prepared. The other 85% failed and an ill-prepared infrastructure resulted in power outages.
On Feb. 15, 2021, 2 million households across Texas lost power, and found themselves without any heat. The storm shut down most of the state, icing over roads, and U.S. President Joe Biden declared a federal emergency across the state. After water treatment plants sustained power outages, residents of Forth Worth received an official order to boil their water, while the city of Kyle said that it was close to running out of water. The other 85% failed and an ill-prepared infrastructure resulted in power outages.
Continuing the lie-
Fox News commentator Tucker Carlson laid the main blame on wind turbines, saying: “The windmills froze, so the power grid failed. Millions of Texans woke up Monday morning having to boil their water because with no electricity, it couldn’t be purified,” and “The windmills failed like the silly fashion accessories they are, and people in Texas died.”
Big Oil, Pipeliners, Drillers and Investors all chimed in. Even Texas Rep. Dan Crenshaw tweeted that the failure of wind turbines was a major factor in the power outages:
This is what happens when you force the grid to rely in part on wind as a power source. When weather conditions get bad as they did this week, intermittent renewable energy like wind isn’t there when you need it.https://t.co/glCm3K0xyp
— Rep. Dan Crenshaw (@RepDanCrenshaw) February 16, 2021
When the reality is, The other 85% failed and an ill-prepared infrastructure resulted in power outages.